Summer officially kicks off on the evening of June 20th as the summer solstice happens. That’s when the sun is at its highest point in the sky and we experience the longest day of the year.
As the first day of summer draws closer, if you’ve been dragging your feet starting your summer reading, here's an idea. How about making a “reading date” with yourself on June 20th to begin your summer reading journey?
Just Do It
Even if you can only spare a few minutes on summer solstice day, you'll feel great turning the first page on your summer reading goals just as spring turns to summer. So grab your book, find a relaxing spot outside, and savor the extra minutes of daylight. What a great way to kick off summer.
The good news is you still have time to get ready!
Summer Reading Is Worthwhile
If you need a little nudge to fully embrace the importance of summertime reading, just remember summer reading gives you a competitive advantage over your peers. It’s that simple. Research shows reading over the summer makes a big difference in your academic performance as you return to school and begin your fall classes.
So if you’re now thinking “Ok, I’m on board with the idea of keeping my reading skills sharp over the summer, but I’m not sure what to read”, you’re in luck.
5 Summer Reading Lists With Fascinating Choices
From the wealthiest man on the planet (Mr. Gates) to the world’s largest library (Library of Congress), here are a few compelling suggestions to consider as you create your summer reading list.
- 5 Books to Read This Summer | Bill Gates, Co-founder of Microsoft and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Berkeley Summer Reading | University of California, Berkeley. 10 UC Berkeley alumni won Pulitzer Prizes in 2016
- 4 First-Rate Thrillers That Will Make Your Heart Pound | Maureen Corrigan, Book critic for National Public Radio’s Fresh Air
- Award Winning Books | Random House Academic Services, Publishers
- Books That Shaped America | Library of Congress. The library houses over 38 million books and other printed items. Wow!